Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Recordings

To start off the new semester, Kyle and I went into the studio to lay down five new bits. The first may air as early as tomorrow, appropriate since it is a little thought piece I use each semester with my NWACC students.

Humor me with my grand theory of the historical universe, but in giving my survey students tools to understand and interpret history I tell them there are three parts to history: the past, history (with a little h) and capital H History.

The past is what actually happened, the events and things that transpired in the time before this moment. We live the past. We experience the past. We remember our own little corner and perspectives of the past. But the past is gone once it happens, never to be seen again.

The little h history is what we recorded of the past. It is the photographs, the newspaper accounts, the original documents, the films, the first person accounts. History can never be as complete as the past, and it is only what survives the ravages of time and memory to be presented to those of us who dare to interpret what occurred in the past for those of us in the present; those of us who create and commit History.

Listen in tomorrow at KUAF for the rest of that story. I'll have the show archive link as soon as it's ready.

No comments: